Five ingredients with benefits:
- Beetroot – This often overlooked vegetable is packed with vitamins, principally beta-carotene. Beetroot is a good source of iron and folate (naturally occurring folic acid). It also contains nitrates, betaine, magnesium and other antioxidants (notably betacyanin). According to the NHS choices website, more recent health claims suggest beetroot can help lower blood pressure, boost exercise performance and prevent dementia.
- Celeriac – It looks weird, but is a power packing vegetable that beats the winter blues. It takes and holds the taste of spices particularly well, namely cumin and turmeric, which are heart warming, tasty and healthy.
- Chorizo and white bean stew. Pulses have long been known to be healthy for the heart. Whereas once, the inclusion of beans signified a mundane lunch, they are transformed into an unctuous, slow cooked stew, with chunks of spicy chorizo. This delivers the promise of a silky, taste sensation.
- Carrot and coriander. Both carrot and coriander offer a bright, delicious soup combination. Vibrant and scrumptious, and the perfect accompaniment to a tailor made sandwich.
- Spinach and feta. The flavonoids in the spinach will make your skin glow and are known to clean the blood. Barrel aged feta provides a salty, tangy partner to liven up the tastebuds.