With its winning combination of low fat and high fibre lean meats and beans, soup is both healthy and delicious. In fact, it’s the best food item ever invented because:
- It’s low maintenance. You’re hungry, it’s quickly ready for you to enjoy. You don’t even have to chew much!
- There are a huge variety of soups from winter warming options, the classics such as chicken or scotch broth, to spring and summer concoctions like pea and ham. Vichyssoise, a thick soup made of boiled and puréed leeks, onions, potatoes, cream, and chicken stock is another winner, which is traditionally served cold but it can be eaten hot.
- It’s internationally loved, with each nation inventing its own masterpieces, an example of which is Pho (pronounced ‘foe’), https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/feb/04/how-to-make-the-perfect-beef-pho a spellbinding Vietnamese soup consisting of broth, rice noodles called bánh phở, a few herbs, and meat, primarily made with either beef or chicken.
- You’re full of cold, have consumed your own body weight in hot toddies and honey and lemon, but nothing is working. Hot, freshly made chicken soup, the type with a clear, glistening broth, packed with healthy vegetables, can revive you in an instant, simultaneously making everything seem right with the world. There’s even medical back up to this claim: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/will-chicken-soup-really-cure-your-cold
- It’s easy to combine flavours, so there’s a soup out there for most people. If you love seafood, try bouillabaisse https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bouillabaisse a French classic, which includes Mediterranean fish and flavours.
- Vegetarians have many options, from the autumnal butternut squash, to borscht, https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/borscht_18028 a beetroot based, tastebud tantaliser.